Artifacts and Facts: The Lake Erie and Pittsburg-Cleveland Southwestern
SUMMARY OF RESEARCH
Planned undertaking of Lake Erie & Pittsburg Railroad - Finished final route of Cleveland, Southwestern and Columbus Interurban - Berea, Ohio.
The following material are conclusions of fact based information, plus, extensive field and map research carried out by the co-authors, Mr. Paul Justy, Jr. and Mr. John Thompson, Jr.
It may also contain some speculation, or, opinions, simply due to lack of available information. Reader's discretion.
The subject of research was a roughly graded planned major railroad undertaking, from the city of Youngstown, Ohio to the major Lake Erie port city of Lorain, Ohio, encompassing portions of the city of Berea, Ohio, circa 1904.
Although the railroad was completed two years later, at a more easterly location, operating for a sum total of 62 years, it's original planned course was never completed, even though preliminary preparations had been made.
Also, questions have been raised involving some bridge ruins lying in the east branch of the Rocky River, at the Cleveland Metroparks Mill Run facility, at Berea, Ohio.
In April of the year 2002, through internet contact, a Mr. Herbert Harwood posed an inquiry to me, questioning some bridge remains in the east branch of the Rocky River.
The inquiry questioned whether these remains were a part of the proposed, but never constructed route of the Lake Erie and Pittsburg
Railroad through the area.
Supplying some recopied photos, along with reproduced copies of maps of the general area, Mr. Harwood requested more information involving the bridge remains, plus, any additional information that could be gathered on the LE&P.
Acting upon the supplied information, plus, gathering together previously acquired documentation, Paul Justy of Grafton, Ohio, and John Thompson Jr. of Elyria, Ohio, both amateur rail historians, began a research project, focused on the Lake Erie & Pittsburg, and Cleveland Southwestern.
Briefly trom it's inception in the late 1800's, the CSW entered Berea trom the north on Eastland Ave. It then proceeded through city streets, namely Bagley Road to the west, Front Street to the south, West Bridge to the East, then, along Henry / Prospect to the South, towards Medina, Ohio. Henry / Prospect Streets also identified as state route 237.
This was the CSW's main routing from the late 1800's to 1914. At that time, due to franchise difficulties, a new route for the CSW was undertaken, bypassing Berea proper, and taking the CSW now to the east of town, away from city streets.
All service did not end, however with the new routing, as it is documented some very limited interurban city traffic did remain.
The new route of the Cleveland Southwestern took it more along Eastland Road to the south, passing the Cuyahoga County Fairgrounds, coming to a point where Eastland and Fowles Road intersected.
At this point, the CSW turned southwest, encountering and crossing the east branch of the Rocky River, then proceeding to the intersection of Prospect and Sprague Roads, encountering it's pre-1914 original routing.
The crossing of the Rocky River, and subsequent location of the bridge remains presently still in existence there, was one area of interest to Mr. Harwood as to whether these were of CSW origin, or, perhaps, from a route planned for the Lake Erie and Pittsburg, but never acted upon.
At first, it was felt the possibility the bridge remains were set in place by builders of the LE&P. However, when this project was not fulfilled, then speculation was the CSW simply came along and used the preliminary preparations by LE&P engineers for the rerouting of the interurban, after 1914.
*LE&P project began in 1904.
First efforts at locating the CSW bridge remains at Rocky River (suspect LE&P) were fruitless.
However on the same field research trip, long known about bridge piers in the west branch of the Rocky River, near Bagley Road and Metropolitan Blvd. in Olmsted Falls, Ohio, were investigated.
In addition, a long suspect row of metal towers, carrying high voltage electrical wires, was researched in the vicinity of Bagley and Usher Roads, again in Olmsted Falls.
It is known that sometime after abandonment of the LE&P planned original route, Ohio Edison Company did acquire some of the property along the rail corridor to construct the aforementioned towers.
This determination came from researching pages of an Ohio Atlas and Gazetteer, copyright 1995 edition, which has information pertaining to our area of research, in and around Berea / Olmstead Falls.
In the area of Usher Road / Bagley, it was determined that the LE&P would have had to facilitate a crossing of Plum Creek. This research has yet
to be completed by investigating parties, Paul and John.
It was discovered that there is a very suspect tract of land with a private residence on it, that does resemble an approach to a bridge crossing at Plum
Creek, in the area of Usher Road / Bagley Road.
The tract of land is quite built up from surrounding areas, and does have the 'earmarks', so to speak, of railroad right of way, such as built up land grade.
It also roughly follows a line direction of the bridge piers set in the west branch of the Rocky River at Bagley Road / Metropolitan Blvd. These piers were previously mentioned in this summary.
It should be noted upon closer examination that although we concluded the bridge piers were set in place as preliminary preparation for the Lake Erie and Pittsburg Railroad, we found no evidence of any bridge deck mountings, such as bolts or mounting plates.
There also were no signs of any rails, ties, etc. that would have been used to construct a rail bridge at the location.
It was decided to further pursue investigation of the suspect line of metal towers, coming from the southeast of Usher Road, roughly following
the alignment of the bridge piers.
We feel the line of towers deviates somewhat from the LE&P alignment. We were shown a path by a private resident in the area of where the towers would have crossed Usher Road. (path is contained on resident's property).
However, this path and line of towers do not line up with the tract of land that contains a private residence, near the intersection of Usher / Bagley Roads, prior to a suspect crossing of Plum Creek by the proposed LE&P rail corridor.
After conversation with the resident on Usher Road, we traveled back east along Bagley Road, crossed the west branch of Rocky River, then, turned south on Lewis Road, trying to line up the bridge piers with what we felt was the direction of alignment of the LE&P grade. We did spot some more rough and very overgrown grading, immediately east of Lewis Road, in line with the bridge piers (traveling south on Lewis).
*Note: At site of piers in west branch of Rocky River, a bridge abutment was spotted on the river's east bank. This had not been previously detected.
Lewis Road, after a short distance south off of Bagley, then turns east and becomes West Road. We proceeded east, still somewhat visualizing what we proposed was the LE&P grade.
Again, acting upon information supplied by Mr. Harwood, we drove to Prospect St., at the intersect of West and Prospect. We then went north on Prospect, to it's intersection with Henry, then Bagley Road.
Turning east, we encountered intersect with Valley Parkway, then turned south, entering Mill Run - Cleveland Metropark.
Traveling south on Valley Parkway, we did spot some bridge support footers, at first thought to be from original alignment of the Cleveland Southwestern and Columbus interurban through Berea.
However, these thoughts were inconclusive, and, time constraints did not allow further research on this day, early April 2002, on these footers.
*Footers located adjacent to Valley Parkway, at West Bridge / Henry Streets.
Exiting the Metropark, back to Bagley Road, we retracted our route back to Prospect, then south on the road, passing West Road, to the intersection of Prospect and Sprague. Mr. Harwood's information of the bridge remains of the CSW crossing at east Rocky River, plus, his and our own suspicions that CSW used grading and alignment from planned LE&P, led us to believe that the LE&P may have passed through the area of Sprague and Prospect Roads intersection.
Turning west on Dorland Ave., off of Prospect, we encountered a walking path, leading up to the high west back of the east branch, Rocky River.
This path led east to the river back, which we followed, then, when the path ended at the river bank, we proceeded north along the river bank, searching for the aforementioned bridge remains.
Walking a good distance along the river bank, from the walking path starting at Dorland, ending at the river bank (going east) then proceeding north along the river, up to the intersection of Valley Parkway and Eastland Road, we saw no remains of a bridge crossing by either the CSW, or, the proposed LE&P.
We ended our search on that day (early to mid April, 2002) by going a short distance east along South Quarry Drive, to Valley Parkway, then southeast along Valley Parkway to Eastland Road.
We then drove south on Eastland, passing under the present day CSX railroad trestle, between Valley Parkway / Eastland intersection, and, Eastland / Whitney Road intersection.
Turning west at this intersection, we had only gone a short distance, when, as sometimes does happen in our research endeavors, we spotted a dated concrete structure abandoned in a wooded area, across from a metropark maintenance facility, located on a continuation of Eastland Road south, after it turned south going west from the intersection of Eastland and Whitney.
*Note: The CSX trestle, the maintenance facility and the concrete structure are all very near proximity to the Ohio Turnpike, as it passes south of Mill Run Metropark.
We did examine the abandoned concrete structure, determining it to be a one time coal dock, used by the railroads at one time to stock pile amounts of coal for industrial, or wholesale use.
Being located very near the present day CSX Lester, Ohio to Cleveland, Ohio branch line railroad, we concluded the coal dock did receive rail service from this branch. (once the Cleveland, Lorain & Wheeling, then Baltimore and Ohio, finally becoming CSX).
Internet computer inquiries were made to both the Cuyahoga County Engineers Office, as well as to the city of Berea, regarding information about the coal dock, the CSW bridge remains, and the proposed LE&P route.
From the Cuyahoga County Engineers, it was learned the coal dock was constructed by the Baltimore and Ohio in the early 1900's to be used to supply coal as a fuel source for steam derricks and cranes, working the huge sandstone quarries, located at Berea.
* Area now Mill Run Metropark.
Information also did coincide with our own determination that coal dock was served from CSX Lester to Cleveland branch line railroad.
Coal dock was last used in late 1930's, early 1940's as sandstone was being deemed an unnecessary source of building or construction material, thereby eliminating the need to acquire it from the Berea facilities.
Subsequently, the rail leading to the coal dock was disconnected from the branch line, and, the coal dock itself was abandoned, however, surviving to the present year, 2002.
Having solved this mystery of the coal dock, attention was once again turned to the east Rocky River Bridge crossing remains, and suspect grades of the CSW and LE&P.
From contact with a Mr. Al Troietto, with the city of Berea, information and computer images of the bridge remains at the east Rocky River crossing, from the CSW's realignment after 1914, again led us in search of this.
Also Mr. Harwood again provided additional information to us from research he had undertaken some years ago, at that time still thinking the CSW had utilized former LE&P alignment.
Mr. Harwood based this theory on a presumption that the LE&P would have traveled a line from Youngstown, Ohio to the northwest, encountering Ravenna, Brady Lake and the southern part of Berea, towards Lorain, Ohio.
The purpose of the proposed LE&P was to secure passage into Lorain to access steel mill rail traffic and revenue, plus, interchange with the New York, Chicago, and St. Louis Railroad (Nickel Plate Road), which already had an established mainline through Lorain, plus, connection into the steel mill.
Paul and my own thoughts tended to agree with Mr. Harwood, as the aforementioned route would have been most logical, again raising suspicion
of the CSW's undertakings at east branch, Rocky River.
Acting upon Mr. Troietto's direction and information, along with the additional knowledge gained from Mr. Harwood, Paul and I searched once
again in the area of Mill Run Metropark for the suspect bridge crossing remains.
We finally did locate them in last April of 2002, near the south end of Baldwin Lake, which was previously part of the Berea sandstone quarries.
There are four bridge piers remaining in the riverbed itself, plus, two clearly defined abutments on either bank of the Rocky River. Also remaining is some overgrown right of way leading up to the bridge remains from the east back of the east branch of the river, and, additional right of way going west after the river crossing, which is presently part of a hiking trail leading into the Mill Run Metropark, and subsequently, South Quarry Drive.
After careful consideration of all pertinent information from all sources, plus, our own conclusion are such that the bridge crossing remains at east branch, Rocky River, south end of present day Baldwin Lake, and, adjacent to Mill Run Cleveland Metropark are of Cleveland, South Western and Columbus Interurban origin as part of their realignment after 1914.
The realignment from information provided by Mr. Harwood, bypassed the CSW's entry in Berea, from Eastland Road, speculated, west along Bagley, again speculated south along Front Street, then west again along West Bridge, then finally, south along Henry / Prospect, following Prospect / 237 South.
New alignment took the CSW further south along Eastland, till it intersected Adams / Fowles Road. There, it turned southwest, crossing the east Rocky River, proceeding to intersect of Prospect / 237 and Sprague Road, encountering it's original path here to continue to Medina.
* All above information contained in documented chronicles on the CSW Interurban Railway.
It was also concluded that the suspect bridge crossing of the LE&P, but determined to be of CSW origin, was on a wrong alignment for suspected LE&P route from Youngstown, Ravenna, and Brady Lake area. Even the Ohio Turnpike was questioned as being on possible graded route of proposed Lake Erie & Pittsburg.
After pretty much solving the suspicion of the CSW using previously graded right of way for the proposed LE&P and, concluding this was not the case, our question became one of where was the Lake Erie and Pittsburg proposed route, once it passes through Olmsted Falls, site of the bridge piers and abutment at the west branch of the Rocky River, adjacent to Metropolitan Blvd.
Again, we knew of some rougher grading, just east of Lewis Road, south of Bagley, again thinking the grade continued from northwest to southeast.
We remembered reading a short summary about the Lake Erie and Pittsburg, as it was constructed, and, operated from a more eastern route from Cuyahoga Heights to Brady Lake, by the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad, who was not involved in the original proposed route through Berea.
The same Herbert Harwood coincidentally, wrote this story, whom we had been trading information back and forth with pertaining to both the Cleveland Southwestern, and, Lake Erie and Pittsburg.
Mr. Harwood also was the person to arise questions of the CSW bridge crossing of the Rocky River, and, suspicion that CSW utilized original LE&P grading or corridor.
Upon rereading Mr. Harwood's story about the operational LE&P, we discovered the proposed route through Berea, was to have begun at Lorain, going south - southeast towards Avon, North Ridgeville, then Olmsted Falls / Berea.
This was in direct contradiction to any previous belief of the thought of route from the southeast to northwest.
We again turned to Mr. Harwood, and Mr. Troietto, for bits of information to conduct field research.
Mr. Harwood supplied us with a computer image map of a suspect area, northeast of Berea, near present day Eastland Road and the intersection of Industrial Blvd, known as Abrams Lake.
This site was mentioned in Mr. Harwood's story, pertaining to the constructed, operational Lake Erie and Pittsburg, under LS & MS (later
New York Central) control.
As to why Mr. Harwood would question the bridge crossing at east Rocky River (CSW) to be part of proposed route of LE&P, when his knowledge did include the Abrams Lake site, referred to as a 'stumbling' block of sorts, in his written story on the railroad, is just a little puzzling.
However, Paul and I were only too happy to be chosen to help supply information and, provide our own insights.
We also were directed to a survey company in Berea: Metzker and Associates of 24 Beech Street, by Mr. Troietto, who has on hand land plot or plot maps that contained information of land acquisition by the proposed Lake Erie and Pittsburg through Berea.
Contact was made to this survey company, and 1927 plot maps were made accessible to both Paul and I for reference.
Clearly marked were plots of land, acquired by the Lake Erie and Pittsburg for railroad construction, however, they were nowhere near the bridge remains crossing of the east Rocky River, southeast of Berea.
The land acquisitions clearly showed the proposed LE&P to have followed a northeastern path, towards the Abrams Lake area.
Studying supplied copies of pages by Metzker of the 1927 map book, we concluded that once the railroad coming from Lorain, proposed towards Berea to the southeast, turned in a northeast direction near the intersection of West Road and Lindberg Blvd. On Berea's southwest side. This meant the proposed LE&P route would have crossed both the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad (Big Four Railroad), and, the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad, as they both entered Berea from the southwest and west respectively.
*There is a line of high-tension towers from the western border of Olmsted Falls, in the vicinity of Fitch Road and Bagley, northwest to just northwest of North Ridgeville that does mark proposed routing of the LE&P.
*Crossings of LE&P encountering CCC & St.L, as well as LS & MS, have yet to be field researched.
Upon turning northeast near West and Lindberg Roads, still heading towards Abrams Lake, the LE&P proposed route would have paralleled the
CCC & St.L for an as yet undetermined distance.
Now, acting upon a recollection by Paul of some more evidence of bridge piers and abutment remains, late April/early May 2002, more field research was undertaken in the vicinity of North Rocky River Drive, Bagley Road Bridge crossing of east Rocky River and Pulaski Street, all in Berea.
Here, definite remains of a bridge pier and abutment were found on the east bank of the east branch of the Rocky River.
Also detected was an unfinished pier, on the opposite, or, west bank of the east branch, Rocky River. An inquiry was made to a Mr. Richard Croy, in
regards to the evidence found. His thoughts were that the abutment and pier were from a one-time branch rail line into the Berea quarries.
After considering these thoughts from Mr. Croy, plus, our own careful examination of the remains at this location, Paul and I determined this was not the case. The bridge abutment, bridge pier, contained no evidence of any mounting hardware necessary to support a bridge deck such as imbedded bolts, steel rail, wooden ties.
Also, there was the factor of the unfinished pier, plus, the height of the finished pier considered by us to be too high to allow for passage into the quarry .
Direction of finished pier, i.e., the way it was set in the ground did not target towards the former quarries, as they would have been south of remains location.
Pier, unfinished pier, and abutment were in a northeast to southwest alignment.
Further research revealed a small plot of ground northeast of the piers and abutments, plot of ground running northeast, that contained the earth marks of a one time railroad grade, or proposed one.
These earth marks were, raised contoured ground, remains of proposed drainage ditches on either side, plus width standard of about 6 to 8 feet across, approximately the width needed to accommodate a railroad grade and drainage ditches. The plot of ground also was about 20 to 30 feet in length.
More studies were accomplished on the grade, plus, the abutment and pier site.
We determined, based on all information supplied by Mr. Harwood, plus, our own opinions and conclusions, the grade and remains of the abutment and piers were of Lake Erie and Pittsburg origin.
Information also told us that much preliminary preparation was made for the proposed LE&P all along the route from Lorain to Berea.
This included grading of right of way, accommodations for the crossing of other rail lines, and setting of bridge abutments / piers where waterways were encountered.
In addition to abutments, piers, and grade at North Rocky River Drive, Bagley Road, Pulaksi Road in Berea, there are the aforementioned abutment
and piers at Bagley, Metropolitan Drive in Olmstead Falls, plus the rough grading east of Lewis Road, just south of Bagley.
Rough grading is also visible where the railroad would have encountered State Route 20, east of North Ridgeville (also marked by high voltage electrical wires, supported by metal towers. Here, the railroad would have passed under the road.
More grading is visible in a wooded area, southeast of French Creek Road located in Sheffield Village, Ohio, near the present day French Creek
rail yard facility of Norfolk-Southern Railroad.
This grade extends in present day French Creek Metropark, which uses part of the former railroad grade, for a public road access into the south portion of the park.
A little further northwest into the park, the grade approaches French Creek, which divides the metropark into the south and north parcels.
At the creek, more preliminary preparation for the proposed LE&P crossing of French Creek, and, another unfinished bridge pier, directly in line with the former grade and abutment. This pier stands in ground on the north side of the French Creek.
*(Creek running primarily east - west)
More grade can also be spotted, adjacent to the French Creek Metropark Facility, on State Route 611, in Sheffield Village, just east of intersect of East River Road.
In conclusion, it is our opinion that the grade at French Creek Metropark, grade in wooded area near N-S yard facility, also named French Creek, grade at east end of North Ridgeville, intersecting Route 20 east, piers and abutment, west branch Rocky River, grade at Lewis Road, piers, abutments, and grade at North Rocky River Drive, Bagley Road, Pulaksi Street, are all Lake Erie and Pittsburg origin, planned, proposed, however never constructed route.
Although all the above had been assumed for a number of years, research and evidence now draws to fact.
* Assumptions, as well as agreement to facts, responsibility, primarily of Paul Justy, John Thompson, and Herb Harwood.
Assumption of suspected quarry track, N. Rocky River Drive / Bagley Road, made by Mr. Richard Croy.
Further conclusions are that once proposed LE&P encountered Abrams Lake area, and documented difficulties there, all proceedings for construction of the railroad were halted. Plat map of 1927, provided by survey group, Metzker and Associates, confirms no further property acquisitions by railroad, northeast of Abrams Lake.
Any additional notes:
Presumed path of LE&P proposed route, either from Youngstown to the northwest, or from Lorain to the southeast, passing south of Berea, are now known to be false.
It should be noted the Lake Erie and Pittsburg was a private undertaking, in it's original form, circa 1904.
The person responsible for it was a Mr. William Kennifik, who had previously constructed the Newburgh and South Shore Railroad, serving American Steel and Wire Company, in Cleveland, Ohio. Mr. Harwood's feeling is that Mr. Kennefik wanted to join the LE&P to the Newburgh and South Shore at some point northeast of Berea, thereby allowing for railroad revenue from two sources, they bring the NSS, and the steel mill at Lorain.
Interchange with the Nickel Plate Road (New York, Chicago, and St. Louis Railroad) at Lorain, plus American Ship building Traffic were also sought after sources of revenue.
It is determined to be by researching parties that after Mr. Kennefik's ambitions, with regards to his proposed route of the LE&P, and all connections, the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern then acquired the project, and after relocation to a route from Brady Lake to Cuyahoga Heights, Ohio, constructed and operated the LE&P for a sum total of 62 years, 1906 - 1968.
This operation consisted of a freight only railroad service. No passenger operations were ever conducted on the operational route of the LE&P.
*Information per documented story by Mr. Harwood of the railroad.
Abrams Lake area written of is known to be quite swampy, very low lying terrain, not lending itself well to any real usefulness.
*In action taken by LS & MS, with regards to LE&P, a rail yard at Cuyahoga Heights, called Marcy Yard, became the beginning point of the LE&P. Also the Big Four Railroad was merged into the LS & MS, both railroads later coming under New York Central control, plus, a new railroad, the Cleveland Short Line, was constructed by the NYC, to allow all converging rail traffic, the N&SS, the LE&P, former Big Four, former LS & MS to access each other's rails, further enhancing revenue.
* After the sum total of 62 years of operation of Lake Erie and Pittsburg, 1906 - 1968, this railroad was abandoned and removed. Presently, a portion of it is a paved bicycling path, in the area of Akron (Stow), Ohio. Also, many remains of bridge abutments, bridge footers, and some piers can be seen along it's path from the east end of former Marcy Yard, Cuyahoga Heights, southeast to Granger Road, east of 1- 77, at Tinkers Creek Park, and looking northwest to southeast from the 271 interchange in vicinity of present day Boston Mills / Brandywine Ski Resort.
From additional research conducted on proposed LE&P route, at site of abutment and pier in the area of N. Rocky River Drive, Bagley Road, Pulaksi Street, in Berea, Paul and John discovered another abandoned grade.
This was revealed to be a quarry track that came off the Big Four Railroad as it passes southwest to northeast through Berea. This track went south along North Rocky River, passes between the bridge pier and abutment at North Rocky River / Pulaski Street, then continued along the east bank of the east branch, Rocky River, crossed the river, passing under the Bagley Road bridge crossing of the river, proceeding south into the quarries.
Remains of this quarry track are imbedded ties in the ground, area of abutment and pier, tie pile from partial removal of quarry track, tie plates, spikes, cinder ballast, and a 1916 date nail, still intact in a railroad tie.
Other remains were sandstone blocks, thought to be remains of an abutment, scattered in area of present east end of Bagley Road Bridge. Abutment likely removed to facilitate at one time a reconstruction of Bagley Road Bridge.
Another intact abutment exists on the west bank of the east branch of the Rocky River, at Bagley Road river crossing, as does a sandstone pier in the riverbed itself.
Further traces of ballast and right of way from the quarry track can be found along the river bank, west side, beyond the aforementioned remaining
abutment, and, along present day Valley Parkway, which run south of Bagley into Mill Run Metropark facility.
Construction of Cleveland Short Line by LS & MS did constitute the building of a trestle, aptly called Marcy Trestle, in the area of Brooklyn Heights / Cuyahoga Heights, west of East 49th Street, crossing the Cuyahoga River. This trestle still exists, presently under CSX railroad control.
It was one of two so-named Marcy Trestles, the other being at the start of the operational LE&P, from east end of Marcy Yard, across a valley, passing high above another rail line and waterway. This trestle was dismantled with the abandonment and removal of the operation LE&P in 1968, or shortly afterward.
Information of quarry track, Big Four, along North Rocky River Drive, across east Rocky River, provided from copies of maps, Metzker and Associates.
As yet unresolved is evidence of bridge footers, along Valley Parkway, vicinity of Prospect Road / Henry St., West Center. Possibility remains of pre-1914 street alignment or CSW original alignment, through Berea.
Also unresolved, tract of land near Usher Road / Bagley Road containing private residence. Appears to be rough graded railroad right of way, possible bridge approach to crossing of Plum Creek, located right behind residence.
Undetectable is path of pre-1914 CSW through Berea. It is known information from Mr. Harwood, CSW used city streets as right of way to enter and traverse Berea.
May 20, 2002 - Revisit to Hofman, Metzker & Associates confirm no further land acquired for proposed LE&P past Abrams Lake. Reference used was 1927 plat map. If property was acquired during 1906, it is presumed said property was disposed of prior to 1927.
Still seek contact with residents of house contract of land, vicinity of Usher / Bagley Road and Mapleway Drive to determine if residence does occupy rough grade of LE&P proposed route, or approach to crossing of Plum Creek by railroad.
Reprint of a postcard of a bridge that was built at the crossing of the French Creek in Sheffield, Ohio, for the original path of the LE&P. Area is presently a Lorain County MetroPark facility. Bridge footer by the creek itself still remains, as does the abutment on the creek bank. Bridge was still in place in April of 1917, as caption states. Unknown when it was removed.
LE&P bridge footer at French Creek.
LE&P bridge piers, west branch of Rocky River, border of Olmsted Township, and Berea. Piers visible looking south of Bagley Road bridge passage of same river.
CSW bridge remains at crossing of same, East Branch of Rocky River, former Berea sandstone quarrys, now Mill Run Cleveland Metro Park.
Different shot of same CSW bridge remains.
Map of property acquistion by LE&P for construction of railroad through Berea. Was never built in area, to author's or Herbert Harwood's knowledge.
Present day guide map of French Creek Metropark, showing how the planned LE&P would have went through. Part of one of the park access roads for the park is built on the railroad grade.
Route planned through the Conrad Farm property in Sheffield, actually James Day Park property, currently French Creek Metropark. From a publication called "Harvest of Memories", about the Conrad Family and their dealings with the railroad, plus about their lives in early Lorain County.
B&O coal dock.
Another shot of the coal dock.
A stock certificate of the LE&P.
Grateful acknowledgements to the following for their participation, plus, all supplied information in this research undertaking:
Mr. Herbert Harwood
Mr. Tom Korach
City of Berea - Mr. Troietto
County of Cuyahoga - Engineers Office
Hofmann, Metzker and Associates - Berea, Ohio
Mrs. Kathryn Justy
Mrs. Wanda Thompson
Elyria Public Library
To any and all other parties who may have contributed in whatever form, our sincere appreciation.
Copyright 2002, John A. Thompson, Jr. and Paul Justy
Not to be reproduced without permission of the Webmaster and/or Author
Back to Main Page